Monday 29 September 2014

Day 19: Mindo


Heading south from Otavalo, I crossed the equator today. There's a theme park and large monument (pic) marking the exact spot where it's 300 metres away. I only saw it from the bus, so I never got to demonstrate that water does not go straight down the plug hole in a shower at this point.


After six hours on a bus I needed to stretch my legs, so walked the last 7km down to Mindo rather than take a taxi. It's a pleasant, quiet little backpacker town surrounded by lush green mountains (pic).

The hostel is a rustic delight, with a riverside terrace round which toucans and hummingbirds flit, and its own little swimming hole (pic). I did this in lieu of a shower, so I never got to find out which way the water goes the plug hole here either.



In the evening I joined a group of fellow backpackers on a night jungle safari looking at tiny but extremely noisy frogs, and huge hairy DEADLY spiders the size of your HAND (pic).

No comments:

Post a Comment