Tuesday 25 November 2014

Day 76: São Paulo: Museums


São Paulo museums very well, so today was my day for looking at exhibitions. First up was MASP, the Museo de Arte de São Paulo. Just as well it's not the Sao Paulo Art Museum. A super collection of top-notch pieces by all my favourite artists, from subversive Goyas to astoundingly ahead-of-their-time Turners to fabulous Impressionists. There were also some that puzzled me a bit, such as this Bellini called Virgin with child, embracing his mother (pic). Embracing? It looks the little terror's trying to strangle her.


Next was the Museo de Futebol (pronounced 'moo ze-oo je foochy boww'). This was only a museum of Brazilian football, so you had to know a bit about the country's footy history (who Pelé and Garrincha were, for instance – amazingly, they never lost a game in which they played together) and also be able to read Portuguese (pic). Which I can't. Some fun videos to be seen, I suppose. Almost as good as YouTube.


Finally was the Pinacoteca, the museum of Brazilian art (full of painters I'd never head of) that also had a wonderful temporary exhibition by Australian (but living in England) hyper-realist sculptor Ron Mueck. Here's an example (pic): the figures really look like they're about to move and speak. He ought to be made a Lord.

Anyway, I'm now back in the hostel and enjoying a complimentary caipirinha (a limey cocktail) which is just as well, because it's raining tropically outside, and thundering 'n' lightninging hard (no pic: my camera might get washed away).

No comments:

Post a Comment