Thursday 9 October 2014

Day 29: Baños, walking


I'm booked on to an overnight bus out of Baños tonight, so I spent today doing one of the hillside hikes through the villages outside town (pic).

The path got very remote-feeling surprisingly quickly (pic), though I couldn't feel that daring, as I met a couple of kids for whom this is clearly their daily route to school. A very wobbly suspension bridge got me back over the river and into town (pic too blurred to put up).



Back in town I snapped this crowded bicycle (pic) whose captain gave me a cheery wave. Ecuadorians are very friendly.


Baños's church is dedicated to the Virgin of the Holy Water, and there are many paintings depicting various miracles attributable to her. Mostly these consist of people, horses, cars etc falling into the river but surviving thanks to a quick prayer to her. But this one appears to show a man who, after invoking the name of the Virgin, magically received a brand-new e-reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment